Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Little Things That Make it Home

Flomarkt

Russell and I were very happy to read in the local paper - well Russell was happy to read, I was happy to hear - that the last Flomarkt of the year would be occurring on Saturday. A Flomarkt is like a Flea Market and the one here in Münster is HUGE. The blurb in the paper described it as professional  and private sellers setting up booths to sell their unwanted items or merchandise with booths set up along the Promenade. The Promenade is a long winding pathway that goes, well I am still not really sure where it goes, but it is pretty long.



Even that day we really didn't understand how going the whole thing was. Russell and I ended up going back three more times and still did not see the whole thing.

We thought this would be a wonderful place to pick up a few sundries that would make our day to day lives a little more comfortable. We had no idea the extent people and wares that would be there. After breakfast, Russell and I left the boys to watch cartoons while he and I walked over to the Flomarkt. It was set up about 2 blocks away so it took no time to get there. We started at the very far end and walked along the pathway. The booths were spaced about seven feet apart and generally consisted of a table covered in stuff with plenty of stuff on the ground as well.

Russell and walked around for a while to get a feel for what was being offered. One of the first things I saw was the first Harry Potter book. I bought it for 4 Euros, which was a little expensive (teuer). Later I bought the next two books in the series for 5 Euros total.



After walking around a bit, I found a bike for me for only 25 Euros - not a very nice bike, but since we are leaving most purchases here it is exactly what I need. I didn't want to roll a bike (on flat tires no less) around for the rest of the time, so we walked the bike home and brought the boys back with us. Of course, they both found several treasures and charmed a few Geschenke (gifts) out of the sellers.

It is a little funny that missing a few sundries that you might not even think about can make your life so much easier. Like a cheese slicer.



(You really don't appreciate it as much until you don't have one.)

A rug or two (15 and 5 Euros). At our home in Norfolk, we have rugs al over the house, but here in Münster we didn't have any. I had forgotten that rugs not only help your feet to be warmer on the cold wood or stone floors, but they also collect a huge amount of dirt and dust that would otherwise end up scattered across your floor and embedded in your socks.





I also found these awesome boots to help me stay warm when I am on my bike or on the days (most days really) when it is too cool to wear my Mary Janes.

An apron - hind sight is 20/20! I can't believe I didn't think I needed to bring one. What was I going to do, not cook? I only saw one set of aprons as we walked around the Flomarkt. This little old lady set up a booth full of clothes and things she had made. I think this cost about 5 euros. I did not intend on buying such a patriotic apron, but it was this or something in pastel (yuck!).



An egg timer. So practical for timing how long the boys have to study their extra German lessons or when the Brötchen or cookies are ready to come out of the oven. I did bring my silicon baking sheet - so there!




We also bought Preston a bike as well as saddle bags for mine.




I am so glad we all have bikes now - it opens whole new aspects of the city for us that were previously to far away to go to. Right now, that primarily means grocery stores, but I know that soon we will get out a little more for recreation.

There is so much to see and do here. In future posts, I plan on focusing on the Picasso museum, the Zoo, the prolific amount of public art and the oldest parts of the city (Altstadt) just to name a few!

No comments:

Post a Comment