Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Expanding our Minds at the Picasso Museum (And our bellies at the Eis cafe)

Münster Picasso Museum

Frau mit geblümter Bluse


Spring really is almost here. We took advantage of a lovely, non-rainy, day to visit one of Münster's highlights - their very own Picasso Museum. Our youngest child gave us a great tour since his class visited the museum last fall.

Here is the facade of the museum.


I love the doors.

The museum is located in the Altstadt of Münster and even has it's own cafe. In addition to the Picasso pieces, there was also a huge exhibit of work from another Spanish artist named Eduardo Chillida.  We spend the first part of our trip looking through his works. I downloaded the image below from here. The exhibit showcased  drawings, sketches, and three dimensional works in metal, stone, and paper.


For about 20 Euros, the cost of a family ticket, we spent a lovely afternoon expanding our minds a little.

Take a virtual tour of the museum here.

Of course I didn't actually take pictures of my favorites (photography is verboten!) I snapped these images off the museum tickets.







Überraschung!
Surprise!



As we made our way home from the museum, we noticed some sort of commotion at the Schloss. We dropped the boys off at home and went back to check it out.

As it turns out, we had stumbled into some sort of fabric Flea Market (Stoff Flomarkt).



This find was particularly convenient since I have been itching to make a blanket for a pregnant friend. Of course, the main problem is that I have no sewing machine here.

I found this really cute burberry plaid fabric and knew I HAD to make a blanket. I had seen knotted fleece blankets and thought I would give it a try.


I cut a square, about three inches in diameter, out of each corner of the fabric. Then I cut three inch slits, about one inch apart along the edges of the fabric.


This fabric is two layers of fleece fused together, but it easily pulled apart to tie the knots.


I tied every other strip, then flipped the blanket over and tied the other side.

I cut 4 inch slits on the sides that had the selvage and then snipped it off the extra inch before I tied it. It is probably  easier to cut the selvaged edge before you cut the strips, but these scissors are very dull and pulled the fleece too much to try to cut a straight edge.


I think this worked pretty well for my first attempt at fleece blanket making.


My report about our next adventure will have to wait till next week - on Tuesday we visited the Pinkus Braüerei for a wonderful, authentic German dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment