Thursday, November 17, 2011

Inheritance and the Joys of German Class

Inheritance

I don't know if I mentioned it before, but the family of one of Paton's classmates lived in our current apartment for 5 years. Last Spring they bought a house. In Germany, when you buy a house or condo, you have to furnish it completely. That means besides all the normal things like sofas, tables and chairs, , beds, curtains you also have to fit out the Kitchen. The WHOLE kitchen, such as countertops, fixtures and cabinets. EVERYTHING. Once their friends knew they were moving into their own home, they were gifted  leftover kitchen supplies to use in their completely empty kitchen. Last week our kids had a play date and she invited me to go through the extras she had put up in her attic.

**Small side note. I have always thought the German word "Gift" was interesting. In English, a Gift is a present. In German, if you hear "Gift" it means poison.**

As we were going through the three giant boxes, I saw a few treasures. One is this. 


My new Loaf Pan

It is a Le Creuset loaf pan, and let me tell you it must weigh at least 8 pounds. It is so heavy and I can't wait to bake something in it. Since it is so cold here right now, I will wait till Summer to make a terrine. I think banana bread is in my immediate future.

My cast iron spice grinder
Above is a Skeppshuult Spice Grinder - also cast iron. Too bad that after Preston tried to grind a carrot with it, he cleaned up his mess without drying it off completely and so it got a bit rusted.


Hmm, not sure about this one, but I can't wait to find out.

My Facebook friends suggested the items above could be for cutting out biscuits or scones - anyone have a favorite recipe?

My friend did not know what many of the items were, but once I explained what they were her she realized many of the items would be useful to her (so I missed out on a few real finds like a fabulous roasting pan). Oh well, I am very grateful for what I could bring home.

More German Class

My boys are also taking German as a second language classes. My nine year old has class during his regular school day while Our 12 year old has one in school as well as one after school. I usually have Russell help with the homework (Hausaufgabe) since he has a much better grasp of German. I am afraid I will teach them something wrong if I help. However, it is time for me to step up! I decided to take on the task. Paton was learning about comparatives. The cartoon below is the example at the top of his worksheet. The kids are having a fight about who is dumb, dumber or dumbest.
This would never fly in a classroom in the U.S.

This part of the exercise uses comparatives to talk about whose "Bild" or "picture" is ugly, uglier or ugliest. Could you imagine what would happen if a teacher in a U.S. classroom passed this worksheet around?
Again, I can't imagine any grammar teacher using this example.
None the less, I am so happy that both boys are gradually getting a better hold of their German. They can understand so much and are starting to speak it without having to be prompted. I can tell that they are both a little homesick though. Since we will be returning to the U.S. in July and back to their schools in Norfolk, I have been having them practice writing paragraphs in English to keep their writing skills up. Yesterday they had to write two paragraphs, one about what they like about Germany and one about the challenges they are having. Both commented on how hard it is to talk to friends and understand what is going on.

To combat potential sadness Russell and I have been trying to intersperse "treats" throughout the week. On Fridays we always get an ice cream. We make sure they have good treats to take to school for their Pausenbröt. We try to have enough for them to stay busy. None the less, there are days when they both need a little extra affection.


The Weather
BRRRRR - If you were in Bavaria, you would roll your "r"s when you say this. Below is the puddle of condensed water that has frozen over outside our window. Next week I will tell you about our rigorous de-humidifying routine. Apparently the the Schimmel is really awful here.

It has definitely changed to cold weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment