Thursday, November 24, 2011

Schimmel! Le Creuset! and Visitors!

First ...
Happy Thanksgiving to all our friends in the U.S.


And now,


Schimmel

I had never heard of Schimmel before coming to Germany. Our apartment manager, Frau F., mentioned in October that since the weather was cooling off we would need to start concerning ourselves with Schimmel. So, of course, we popped onto the computer and looked it up on Wiki. Sorry the link is in German, but if you scroll down you will get the idea.

This is not our apartment. This is just an example I found here on Flikr
Basically, it is mold or fungus.

So, now we know what Schimmel is, all we have to worry about it how to combat it! Since out 9 year old has asthma issues, we really don't want to mess with this stuff. Our industrious apartment manager gave a few simple directions on how to keep the fungus at bay.

Step one - Wipe down all the condensation from the windows in the morning and night. This also means you have to put the towels outside as soon as you are done or the moisture is still trapped in the apartment.

Condensation

Wipe, wipe, wipe

Step two - Open the windows and doors to bring in fresh, dry air for at least 20 minutes.


Step three - Repeat step two at least three times a day.

Of course, this would be no big deal if it wasn't 30 degrees outside.



This task would also be less intimidating if I was able to wash these wet, black streaked towels anytime I needed, rather than the once a week I am allotted to use the communal washers and dryers. Ok, I actually have two allotted times, but one is at 7a.m. I don't think it counts.

If we don't wipe up the condensation we end up with puddles of water on the floor. If we don't open the doors and windows we end up with stale, musty air.

Oh well, I do have other things to console me.

Le Creuset and Cousances
My friend who regifted her leftover kitchen ware to me really gave me a few treasures. She had several cast iron and enamled cast iron Le Creuset and Cousances pots and baking items that she was not interested in keeping.  Here are a few of my new treasures. Be jealous. The only question is, "How am I getting these back to the States since they weigh about 100 pounds?"



As I was packing them into my saddlebags and backpack I said, "I can't wait to bake something in these". My friend looked at me and said, "I have never said that about cooking anything".

I used the skillet today when I made breakfast burritos and it was a little piece of Heaven in my Kitchen.

Visitors
On Saturday we had a short visit with Paulina and her mother Ute. They were in town visiting family and came by to see us as well as bringing a few treats. They very graciously brought a spare CD player and CDs as well as many books to fill out our German book selection. Today we listened to Peter and the Wolf.



They also brought a few games including Ubongo. I had forgotten how fun this game is!


It is kind of like a competitive tetris game.

We all hung out at our apartment for a bit and then went down to the Saturday market where Ute bought the boys some candy. She is the next best thing to a Tante (Aunt) here.


A selection of Gummi candy from Holland


A Marshmallow Gummi Maus


A Licorice Frog

Ute and Paulina were also kind enough to bring more "Paton Marmalade", or Quince Jelly. Lucky for him since we had just finished the last jar they gave us. The Kellersmanns are so good to us. I gave them half the loaf of Banana bread I made with my new Le Creuset loaf pan.

Today is Thanksgiving and we are thankful for many things - especially our new friends here in Münster and all our old friends and Family back in the States. On Saturday we are having a Thanksgiving with a another American family but I am still a little bummed to not have it today.

On the bright side, the Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas Markets) are open!

No comments:

Post a Comment